The following are some proposed skills that young adults should be able to demonstrate:
- Continuously striving for self-improvement.
- Managing jealousy and/or feelings of envy.
- Hearing and weighing the viewpoints of others.
- Practicing patience and flexibility on a daily basis.
- Learning from one’s mistakes and accepting losing gracefully.
- Not only focusing on the negative, but also looking for the positive.
- Differentiating between rational decisions and emotional impulses.
- Understanding that skills/talents cannot overshadow preparation.
- Managing one’s temper and the expression of anger.
- Keeping other people’s feeling in mind and limiting selfishness.
- Distinguishing between one’s ‘needs’ and ‘wants’.
- Showing confidence without being arrogant.
- Managing stress with self-soothing.
- Taking ownership and responsibility for one’s actions.
- Managing one’s fears.
- Seeing the shades of grey between the black and white in each situation.
- Accepting negative feedback as an invitation for self-improvement.
- Awareness of one’s insecurities as well as one’s self-esteem.
- Knowing the difference between true love and infatuation.
- Understanding that open and honest communication is the key to authentic connection.
The ultimate goal of becoming an autonomous young adult is being able to meet one’s commitments and obligations — while designing a life that fulfills them.
(acknowledging Marc Hack)
… EMPOWERING TEENS TO BE THEIR BEST SELVES.
“The best example of Sandra’s work is in my daughter’s renewed enthusiasm and attitude towards life. My daughter now sees every problem as one that can be solved, every uncomfortable experience as an opportunity to learn and grow. Sandra’s work with my daughter has helped her become a more secure, confident and happy individual.”
Worried About Your Teen? FREE Parent Consultation
For more information, please visit my website:
Providing service for: Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Beverly Hills, Beverly Glen, Culver City, Brentwood, Westwood, Marina Del Rey, Mar Vista, Encino, Sherman Oaks, Topanga Beach and Topanga Canyon, Ocean Park, Hancock Park, West Hollywood.